Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Motherhood




"Mothers are all slightly insane." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Reading this was like being throat punched with truth knuckles. I now realize that while I may feel exhausted all the time, it's but a small part of the bigger picture; I'm just a little bit insane.

On Friday, I actually cried on the floor. I curled up in a ball and cried for 2 minutes, before getting up to vacuum the stairs in an attempt to center myself. Who acts like that?

Well.... I guess I do.

Spending any time on facebook had me thinking that most moms just laugh the bad days off with witty puns, or the hours of screaming were matched by calm mommy resolve to make it better. Did other moms feel isolated and hopeless sometimes? Were there days when they thought they were the biggest mess in the world, and their poor child was going to be forever damaged by their inability to be a high functioning, rational adult? Was I willing to reach out and ask anyone about it? Not really.

But then, one day, I did. And then I did it again another day. I've had some amazing conversations with other moms about parenthood, and the personal challenges they've faced along the way. I wasn't told to just suck it up and deal with it. I was never made to feel as though I was wading around in a mess created by my own ineptitude.

We're female gladiators, fending off physical attacks from pint sized monsters; we're therapist to the sometimes mute and impatient; we're audience to the most hilarious comedians on the planet; we're the safety blanket when life is a little bit too threatening to do it alone; we're the maid that cleans up all the little accidents, and the not so accidents; we're the chef that always get the most terrible reviews; we're the nurse even when we're also the patient; we're the insanity that they'll remember forever.

Parenting is a balancing act. You need to make sure your child's needs are being met, while making sure that your relationships are being nurtured. And don't, for a second, think that it's okay to neglect the relationship you have with yourself. I know I fall prey to forgetting this, or I write it off as being 'selfish' behaviour. But, a happier me is a happier mom.



Sometimes you need to fall down to learn how to balance.



I guess I just fell down for a minute. Time to get up and try again.



*Side note: There are people who might criticize or judge you as a parent. They might even be moms themselves. I'm focusing this blog on the positive responses, because they are more prevalent than the negatives. Sometimes we just get too wrapped up in the negative, because it highlights all the most insecure thoughts that we've had.

Be candid with your non-mom friends too. I've found some pretty solid support from people who can empathize with struggles that I'm facing as an individual.

4 comments:

  1. Motherhood has provided me with those moments in which I have been most alive.. my happiest.. proudest.. most miserable, confused and deplorable..

    Being a mom is a gift: one we sometimes want to take back to the shop to trade in for.. maybe a trip to some peace and quiet. But, it is a gift that takes us to those places within ourself that we may think we don't want to go: but are actually the better for exploring.

    Being a mom takes us inside, but also outside ourselves.

    Being a mom is a crazy, magical ride.. and Sara..
    It never ends.

    Enjoy the ride Sara.. cuz there is nothing else you can do. You are an awesome mom! That boy of yours is soooo lucky!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a tremendous support and inspiration to me. I am so fortunate to have you in my life.

      :)

      Delete
  2. So beautifully written Sara! If my mom was here to read this, she would have had a great chortle because, she like you, had had many melt downs raising her family (4 kids in 6 years). In her world, she was far from perfect - in my world, she was perfect! And to Logan, you are perfect and always will be.

    Each melt down you have, each insanity moment you have, is a test of your strength, courage and love - it defines who you are and makes you a better person.

    You are the best person that you can be - and as Jocelyn said, Enjoy the ride!!

    BTW, Catcher In The Rye was my all time favorite book and Salinger was an amazing writer!!

    <3 You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had many a day where I have sat in my pjs and cried not knowing which way to turn. It is the steepest learning curve being a parent with many falls. Luckily our children don't know that our mistakes and lows are just that. They love us and look up to us and will even happily climb on us and jump up and down while we are curled up sobbing. Innocence really is bliss xxx

    ReplyDelete